Thursday, December 18, 2008

Orange Blossom Ice Cream


This recipe is so simple, quick and easy. It really came into being due to the insane holiday crowds. The grocery store I was at was completely out of cream and I was unwilling to fight the crowds at yet another store. I was therefore faced with a dilemma: forgo the ice cream or make do without cream.

Needless to say I decided to give it a shot with just whole milk, and it in fact turned out great! I made the recipe in a really small quantity, but you can simply double it to produce more ice cream.

It really tastes so amazing, I have to admit I licked the churn bowl of the ice cream machine clean. Don't tell please.

Orange Blossom Ice Cream

1 1/2 cups whole milk
3 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon orange blossom water

Heat the milk, vanilla, orange blossom, and half of the sugar in a saucepan. Meanwhile, whisk the yolks and rest of sugar slowly but continuously. Once the milk begins to boil, slowly stream about 3/4 cup into the yolks all the while whisking.

Place the saucepan with the rest of the milk back on the stovetop. Slowly stream the yolk mixture into the saucepan, whisking to incorporate. Switch to a spatula or wooden spoon and continue stirring for about 2-3 minutes or until mixture reaches 185 degrees.

Transfer ice cream base to container and allow to cool in fridge.

Churn ice cream in mixer and enjoy!


Update:
I failed to mention above that the reason I made the ice cream was for Amy's birthday! Happy birthday Amy!!! Those of you that read my blog will remember that Amy was in fact the person who introduced me to orange blossom water and brought me a bottom each of rose water and orange blossom water which I used to make my flavored macaroons.

4 comments:

Caroline B said...

the most delicious ice cream!! you have to make it again, or maybe i will attempt.

Anna said...

you should!

Amy Rusalov said...

soooo yummy the ice-cream the brownies - you girls treat me right.

Anonymous said...

Hey girls!
Just wanted to let you know, this website called www.mounifoods.com has homemade rose and orange blossom water... a drop of that stuff goes a long way bc they dont dilute with water like teh commercial kind.. this is a true find! happy b aking!!!