Lavender and lemon pair so nicely so why not combine them in classic lemon squares?
The flavor of the lavender in this recipe is very subtle and really enhances the dessert. I have adapted the recipe by adding lemon zest and eliminating the coconut oil (substituting it with a little water and extra butter). It is a very simple and basic recipe and very refreshing.
Lavender Lemon Bars
Adapted from All Recipes
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons dried lavender buds
3/4 cup butter, soft
2 cups flour
3 tablespoons water
1/4 cup flour
Zest of 2 lemons
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
1/2 teaspoon dried lavender buds
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8x12 inch baking dish.
- Make lavender sugar by blending the sugar and 2 teaspoons lavender buds in a blender; blend until the lavender is powdered.
- Blend together with an electric mixer 1/4 cup of the lavender sugar, butter, 2 cups flour, zest of 1 lemon, water and salt in a bowl until a dough forms; press into the bottom of the prepared dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the top begins to turn golden brown; about 15 minutes.
- While the dough bakes, mix together the remaining lavender sugar, 1/4 cup flour, eggs, lemon juice, lemon extract, zest of 1 lemon and 1/2 teaspoon lavender buds; pour over the baked crust and return to the oven to bake until the center is set, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely and dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.
Thanks for the beautiful plates Kate!